Solutions and Weather Data Tailored to Your Needs
Weather has a high impact on the shipping & offshore industry. The safety of workforce and cargo, delivery punctuality, loading and unloading, and fuel consumption are directly impacted by the effects of extreme events.
Accurate weather information is therefore central to successful business in the shipping & offshore industry and can lead to the realization of competitive advantages.
Explore Our Solutions
Why Is Weather Important for the Shipping & Offshore Industry?
Critical Weather Conditions on the High Seas and Ports
The international shipping industry is responsible for the transport of around 90% of world trade. Therefore, weather conditions on the high seas and at ports highly impact the supply chain.
Working with appropriate data to monitor ocean and mainland conditions will help you react in time to:
- adjust timetables and routes
- increase punctuality
- ensure the safety of your workforce and cargo
- minimize the structural impacts from weather exposure on your ships
- have more efficient fuel consumption
- improve loading and unloading efficiency
Weather Data for Sustainable Shipping
Gone are the days of the caravels. Today, ships are powered by petroleum products that release pollutants into the atmosphere.
Oil spills into the ocean are another side effect of shipping activities. Sometimes the accidents’ causes are related to the weather. Extreme weather conditions – such as hurricanes, storm surge, fog, ice flows, or high winds – may impact the course of vessels, leading to collisions.
Weather data will help you:
- understand and lower fuel consumption
- improve bunker costs
- manage carbon intensity levels
- prevent accidents
Global Director of Alliances
When it comes to voyage performance and charter party compliance, up-to-date weather data plays a key role. We are now able to overlay the most up-to-date, weather data on the map and have on-demand forecasts for voyages. This allows for operations to react by adjusting timetables and routes, providing efficiencies in fuel consumption, more optimized ordered speed, increased reliability in arrival times and improved navigational safety.
Meteomatics Solutions for Shipping & Offshore
Everything you need on call
Meteomatics Weather API removes the complexity of handling and processing weather data, allowing users to retrieve large volumes of weather data quickly.
- One source, one interface: query multiple parameters simultaneously for single or multiple sites and entire areas.
- Query data in real time with a response time of a few milliseconds
- Real-time access to over 7 petabytes thanks to unique data processing technology (Meteocache)
- "On the fly" downscaling using topographic maps enables 90 meter resolution worldwide, greatly improving accuracy at the local level
- High resolution of data per minute
- Highest data quality: over 1640 updates per day ensure accuracy and timelines
Explore the Power of Our Weather Visualization Map
MetX Visualization Map
With weather maps, weather data can be made accessible to all
MetX is a web-based tool based on the weather API developed by Meteomatics. A weather map is used to display complex weather data and can easily visualize conditions. With our software for the visualization of weather data, we offer you a high-performance solution to gain more insights and thus make better decisions based on the weather situation.
Advantages and Benefits
- the calculation of weather data in real time when zooming or changing views
- a high spatial resolution of 90 meters: based on the NASA terrain model, measuring points are calculated every 90 meters and the weather data are scaled down accordingly
- high temporal resolution of one minute
- the possibility to use different maps like topographic maps, border maps, aeronautical maps etc.
- the use of layers to display different weather parameters
- clear display of up to 4 maps on one screen (quartering of the screen)
- data export for each point on the map
- individual solutions for your weather map on request
Learn From Our Customer Stories
This is how we improve our clients' business with our approach.
We Work With Groundbreaking Companies
We are proud to work with leading companies in the shipping & offshore industry. Together, we realize efficiency benefits, better integration of renewables and help our partners realize digital innovations.
Head of Sales and Meteorologist
Customised industry solutions
Get in touch - we are here for you.
Contact us if you have questions about specific industry applications or would like advice from our experts! We look forward to your enquiry and will get back to you within one working day.