Temperature related Parameters
Gives the wind chill in °C as defined by Wikipedia1 .
- Show the windchill and the temperature at a height of 2 meters for the next five days: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00ZP5D:PT1H/windchill:C,t_2m:C/47.412164,9.340652/html
The apparent temperature is a measure for the human thermal comfort. On the basis of the air temperature, the apparent temperature is computed considering effects of relative humidity, wind speed and solar radiation.
C, F, K Examples
- Show the apparent temperature and the air temperature at a height of 2 meters for the next five days: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00ZP5D:PT1H/t_apparent:C,t_2m:C/47.412164,9.340652/html
The Heat Index is a parameter that describes how humidity affects the perception of warm temperatures in shaded areas. Since the human body cools itself by evaporating sweat from the skin, higher humidity attenuates the effect of this mechanism. The index is computed using air temperature and relative humidity, while for temperatures below 27°C the heat index equals air temperature. The Heat Index can be used to assess the danger of heat exhaustion and strokes when performing outdoor activities.
C, F, K
|26 - 32 °C||Caution: fatigue is possible, activity could result in heat cramps|
|32 - 41 °C||Extreme caution: heat cramps and heat exhaustion possible, activity could result in heat stroke|
|41 - 54 °C||Danger: heat cramps and heat exhaustion are likely, heat stroke is probable|
|>54 °C||Extreme danger: heat stroke is imminent|
- Heat Index and temperature for Miami in September. 2019: Current situation: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00ZP5D:PT1H/heat_index:C,t_2m:C/25.761681,-80.191788/html?model=mix
The Humidex is the Canadian equivalent of the Heat Index. It also describes the effects of humidity in combination with high temperatures. The computation of this index requires air temperatures and dew point temperatures.
C, F, K
|20 - 29 °C||Little to no discomfort|
|30 - 39 °C||Some discomfort|
|40 - 45 °C||Great discomfort; avoid exertion|
|>45 °C||Dangerous, heat stroke possible|
- Humidex and temperature for Miami in September. 2019: Current situation: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00ZP5D:PT1H/humidex:C,t_2m:C/25.761681,-80.191788/html?model=mix
The wet-bulb temperature is the lowest temperature that can be reached by direct evaporative cooling. Thereby, the release of water from a saturated surface and the water absorption capacity of the surrounding atmosphere are in equilibrium. Due to the cooling by evaporation, the wet-bulb temperature always falls below the air temperature in dependence of the relative humidity. The difference between wet-bulb temperature and air temperature is larger if the air is drier. The wet-bulb temperature exceeds the dew point temperature, except for relative humidities of 100 %, where air temperature, wet-bulb temperature and dew point temperature coincide.
0m, 2m, 100m, 1000hPa, 975hPa, 950hPa, 925hPa, 900hPa, 875hPa, 850hPa, 825hPa, 800hPa, 775hPa, 750hPa, 700hPa, 650hPa, 600hPa, 550hPa, 500hPa, 450hPa, 400hPa, 350hPa, 300hPa Examples
- Course of air temperature, wet-bulb temperature and dew point temperature at a height of 2 meters for the next five days: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00ZP5D:PT1H/t_2m:C,wet_bulb_t_2m:C,dew_point_2m:C/47.412164,9.340652/html
Equivalent Potential Temperature (θe)
θe is a conserved quantity during vertical motions in the atmosphere. It is the temperature an air parcel would reach if all the water vapor condensed and its latent heat was released, while the parcel is lifted adiabatically to 1000 hPa. The concept of θe is a powerful tool in order to differentiate between different air masses, which facilitates the identification of frontal systems. Moreover, it allows the assessment of atmospheric stability. If θe decreases with height, the atmosphere is unstable and convection is favored.
2m - 20000m (continuously), 1000hPa, 975hPa, 950hPa, 925hPa, 900hPa, 875hPa, 850hPa, 825hPa, 800hPa, 775hPa, 750hPa, 700hPa, 650hPa, 600hPa, 550hPa, 500hPa, 450hPa, 400hPa, 350hPa, 300hPa, 200hPa, 50hPa, 10hPa
- Cold airmass moving across Europe from north to south on April 14th, 2020: Current situation: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00Z/theta_e_850hPa:C/europe:600x400/html_map
- Unstable conditions where θe decreases with height during a passage of a cold front on April 13th, 2020 at 18 UTC: Current situation for St. Gallen: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00ZP2D:PT3H/theta_e_850hPa:C,theta_e_800hPa:C,theta_e_750hPa:C,theta_e_700hPa:C,theta_e_500hPa:C,theta_e_300hPa:C/47.412164,9.340652/html
Meteomatics launched its own model for computing lake temperatures. The temperatures are calculated for a vast amount of lakes within Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Historical data is available back to 2015 and a 15-day forecast is provided daily. The resolution of the temperature data is 1 hour. The model can be accessed via:
The corresponding lake temperature parameter has the following identification within the API:
In order to perform a query for a certain lake, the coordinates are required as input. A list of all available lakes can be fetched by applying a find station query (see Find Station). For example, the following query creates a list of all available lakes within Germany: https://api.meteomatics.com/find_station?location=germany&source=mm-lake-temp The query for the lake temperature must contain the coordinates, the lake temperature parameter
t_lake:C and the lake model specification
This example shows the lake temperature for Lake Constance. Current lake temperature with 15-day forecast for Lake Constance: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T00:00:00ZP15D:PT1H/t_lake:C/47.6124,9.37955/html?source=mm-lake-temp&on_invalid=fill_with_invalid
Mean Temperature over the Last 10 Years
The mean 2m-temperature over the last 10 years on a certain date at a specific location.
K, C Examples
- Compare the mean temperature of the last ten years with the temperatures of 2017. https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T12:00:00ZP100D:P2D/t_2m_10y_mean:C,t_2m:C/50,10/html
- The temperature in winter compared to the 10-years mean: https://api.meteomatics.com/__replace__0T12:00:00ZP4M:P1M/t_2m_10y_mean:C,t_2m:C/50,10/csv
validdate;t_2m_10y_mean:C;t_2m:C 2016-10-01T12:00:00Z;16.1;15.9 2016-11-01T12:00:00Z;10.7;6.9 2016-12-01T12:00:00Z;4;2.3 2017-01-01T12:00:00Z;2.9;-2.1 2017-02-01T12:00:00Z;2.2;3.2