Frost and Thaw Depth | Soil Frost | Amount of Snow Melt | Amount of Fresh Snow | Snow Depth | Snow Water Equivalent | Snow Density | Snowfall Probability | Snow Drift | Rime Probability
Snow and Frost API Parameters
Frost & Thaw DepthThe frost and thaw depth parameters indicate the depth to which the earth has frozen and the depth to which the earth has thawed in centimeters based on information from different soil layers.
- Time series showing the frost and thaw depth: Current situation: https://api.meteomatics.com/2023-02-08T00:00:00Z--2023-02-13T00:00:00Z:PT1H/frost_depth:cm,thaw_depth:cm/63.07604,-152.55482/html
- An output of the corresponding csv file.
validdate;frost_depth:cm;t_2m:C validdate;frost_depth:cm;thaw_depth:cm 2022-10-17T06:00:00Z;18.6;-666 2022-10-17T06:05:00Z;18.6;-666 2022-10-17T06:10:00Z;18.6;-666 2022-10-17T06:15:00Z;18.6;-666 ... 2022-10-17T18:10:00Z;17.5;-666 2022-10-17T18:15:00Z;17.5;-666 2022-10-17T18:20:00Z;17.5;-666 2022-10-17T18:25:00Z;17.5;-666 2022-10-17T18:30:00Z;17.5;-666 2022-10-17T18:35:00Z;17.5;-666 2022-10-17T18:40:00Z;-666;5.1 2022-10-17T18:45:00Z;-666;5.7 2022-10-17T18:50:00Z;-666;6.3 2022-10-17T18:55:00Z;-666;6.8 2022-10-17T19:00:00Z;-666;7.2 2022-10-17T19:05:00Z;-666;7.3 2022-10-17T19:10:00Z;-666;7.5 2022-10-17T19:15:00Z;-666;7.6 ... 2022-10-18T23:50:00Z;15.4;-666 2022-10-18T23:55:00Z;15.4;-666 2022-10-19T00:00:00Z;15.4;-666
Soil FrostThis parameter provides the probability in percent for the occurrence of soil frost based on surface and ground temperatures.
- Time series showing the soil frost probability for St. Gallen on the 4th of April, 2020: Current time series: https://api.meteomatics.com/2023-02-08T00:00:00ZP2D:PT3H/soil_frost:p/47.412164,9.340652/html
Amount of Snow MeltFollowing parameter returns the snow height that melted within the given interval, i.e. the difference in snow height in cm:
Following paramter returns the height of the water equivalent of the melted snow in mm (that is the same as l/m²). Please note that it is not the height of the snow cover in mm.
1h, 3h, 6h, 12h, 24h
- Create a time series showing the amount of snow melt within one hour on the "Jungfrau" (a 4,158 meters high mountain in the Bernese Alps) during one day. https://api.meteomatics.com/2023-02-08T00:00:00ZP1D:PT1H/snow_melt_1h:mm/46.5468,7.9826/html
Amount of Fresh SnowGives the amount in centimeters of fresh snow accumulated on the ground during the indicated time interval.
1h, 3h, 6h, 12h, 24h
- A time series of the amount of fresh snow falling between the 3rd and the 5th of January 2017 in St.Gallen. https://api.meteomatics.com/2017-01-03T18:00:00ZP2D:PT1H/fresh_snow_1h:cm/47.412164,9.340652/html
Snow DepthGives the snow depth in centimeters.
m, cm, mm
- A time series of the increasing snow depth between the 3rd and the 5th of January 2017 in St.Gallen. https://api.meteomatics.com/2017-01-03T18:00:00ZP2D:PT1H/snow_depth:cm/47.412164,9.340652/html
Snow Water EquivalentGives the snow height in mm water equivalent.
- The course of actual snow depth and corresponding snow water equivalent from 2019/01/08 to 2019/01/15 in St. Gallen. https://api.meteomatics.com/2019-01-08T00:00Z--2019-01-15T00:00Z:PT1H/snow_depth:cm,snow_water_equivalent:mm/47.4245,9.3767/html
Snow DensityGives the snow density in kg m-3.
- The course of the snow density from 2019/01/08 to 2019/01/15 in St. Gallen. https://api.meteomatics.com/2019-01-08T00:00Z--2019-01-15T00:00Z:PT1H/snow_density:kgm3/47.4245,9.3767/html?model=mix
Snowfall ProbabilityThis index provides the probability in percent for precipitation to occur in the form of snow.
- Time series showing the snowfall probability for St. Gallen on the 11th of January, 2019: Current time series: https://api.meteomatics.com/2023-02-08T00:00:00ZP2D:PT3H/prob_snowfall:p/47.412164,9.340652/html
Snow DriftThe snow drift parameter describes how strong snow is carried over the surface due to environmental factors such as wind speed. The index ranges from 0 to 6 with higher values indicating a higher amount of fresh snow being transported because of high wind speeds.
- In early February 2021, many train connections in the northern half of Germany had been cancelled due to strong snow drifts over train tracks: https://api.meteomatics.com/2021-02-07T12:00:00Z/snow_drift:idx/54,8.5_51,14.9:0.025,0.025/html_map
Rime ProbabilityThis index describes the probability of rime occurrence.
- The occurrence of rime has a higher probability from late autumn to early spring: https://api.meteomatics.com/2021-02-09T07:50:00Z/prob_rime:p/53.5,7.5_51,11.5:0.01,0.01/html_map